Friday, August 28, 2009

Inspiring minds want to know

It's dangerous to ask an artist where they get their inspiration from. Either you'll open up the gates and they'll vomit indecipherable personal information about their treacherous search for either inner truth or the meaning of life... or they'll say the truly deep "I felt it in my gut". I'm a gut person myself. Makes me deep, huh?

Gut instinct, though, is incredibly important to creativity. Every artist knows when something 'feels right'. They know when they're on a roll, doesn't matter if they've been working 1 hour or 10... Something clicks in them and they know they can't stop, shouldn't stop, because there's a very good chance that they wont be able to pick up again when they come back.

I could almost compare it to an athlete getting their second wind. It's that moment when your body stops struggling, stops fighting you. It's the same for an artist. All of a sudden your hands know what to do before your brain does. Instead of thinking about what you want to do, you just do it. Instead of the brain leading the way, the gut does.

No comments: