Friday, May 7, 2010

Design in the first weeks of May!

I've already mentioned Crafts in Chelsea... which, with the weather as beautiful as it is, would be an awesome way to spend some time.   I will certainly head over to cheer on my friends...  and maybe splurge a little on me too.


But there's more happening this weekend that I want to tell you all about.   First off, tonight is The Looms First Friday event.   From 7 to 11pm,  "The Shops at the Loom host this monthly event, and offer discounts, deals, and complimentary refreshments coupled with performances and art installations."   Shops include my friend's handmade boutique Better Than Jam with clothes, jewelry, and more.   Other shops are The Brooklyn Yarn Cafe, Belal, and The Index.


Next stop is the Brooklyn Designs show starting today and running through Sunday.   I love this show because it's my neighbors.  I think of it as a big housewarming party where I get to meet everyone and peek inside their medicine cabinets (c'mon, you do it too).   Having been on their side of the table/booth, I know how gut wrenching it is to put your heart and soul out there to be critiqued and hopefully admired.  I can't wait to see what they are offering this year!


The big humdinger will be next weekend at the Javitts Center.   The International Contemporary Furniture Fair, or ICFF.   This is the big time.  There are companies from around the world hoping they'll either have the product everyone remembers and gets them lots of press...  or the product that everyone wants and gets them lots of sales.   It's a fashionable mix of new innovations and introductions from companies large and small, from Herman Miller to the students at Parsons.  

While you may not hit them all.... I highly recommend that you check out at least one of these.   I'll be going to all of them.   If you see me...  come on up and say 'hi'!

No comments: