Friday, October 31, 2008

19 hours and counting

Seemes appropriate that I start this blog with a countdown. A countdown to my first show. My first time displaying my cards, my art, to the public. My stomach is in knots.

I opened up warpeDesign.etsy.com a month ago. Friends, family, coworkers, etc have all been complimentary. A few even bought stuff. (I love you for that!) What was even better was when total strangers bought stuff. It was a nice affirmation that I had something here.

The question in my head was "how big a something?". I'm still struggling with where this fits into my life. I love making these cards. But can I make a living off of them? Do I have what it takes to make that living? Do I want to walk away completely from textiles which have been my life for the last 15 years.

Reality is that I can't make a living just from the cards... for now. And happily I just got a freelance textile job offer this morning. Yay. Mortgage payment! It made me realize I still love textiles too. I don't want to give that up.

My new challenge is figuring out how to juggle the two worlds. I'm not worried about time. There'll be enough time to do both. It's my headset. I have to change processes, get into a different thought process for each of them. The cards are intuitive, gut reactions, and sort of free from thought. While my textile designs have some of that too, they need to be grounded in the parameters of the job, the fabrics end use, the intended clients needs, and the mood and trends currently floating in the miasma of our lives.

So today I'm in card mode. I've got to stay focused here although my head wants to start researching pattern ideas already. But that's not where I need to be. I'm in card mode. I need to think about my display. What else do I need? (Candy!! Lure them in with leftover, cheap Halloween candy!) How will I pack it up? How long will set up take? Am I going to have time, or the stomach, for breakfast? What am I forgetting?

ah well, it'll be here and gone before I know it. Next post - Brooklyn Indie Market: what did I learn?

No comments: